December 7, 2011

Cassie 2000/2001 to 2011

   We had to put Cassie to sleep today. It was very hard for all of us. The vet called me a couple of hours after we dropped her off this morning and explained that the tumor had already done extensive damage across her palate. Cassie started bleeding shortly after the tumor was opened and wouldn't stop. The vet said that with or without the biopsy, Cassie wouldn't be able to lead any quality of life under the circumstances. He recommended that we euthanize her and suggested we wait no longer than a week. Because the tumor was so rapid, the damage would only worsen and she would be in pain.
   Lois and I talked about it and decided we should put Cassie to sleep. There was a good chance that the wound in her mouth wouldn't even heal within the week and it would only prolong her misery.
   The last week has been very strange. Lois received a letter a week or so ago saying Cassie was supposed to get her rabies shot and at the same time I saw her jowl was a bit extended on one side. I brought it to Lois' attention and she was going to have the vet look at it. When Lois and Aly took Cassie to the vet, they discovered Cassie didn't need her rabies shot until 2013. Odd? The visit was not unwarranted, Lois had the vet look at Cassie's mouth and he discovered the tumor. When we tried to look at it beforehand, Cassie would whine and move away. We figured it would be best for the vet to look at it.
   All day long Lois and I both felt like maybe we could have done something different. That we should have noticed her mouth sooner. We wondered if we as pet parents were doing our jobs. Even the veterinarian's wife made a remark that, "I can't believe you didn't notice it." As if we didn't feel bad enough already. But they said it was fast-growing and just wasn't noticeable until about a week ago. We all agree that none of us noticed her mouth until we received the rabies shot notice in the mail. It almost seems like it was a forewarning. Like we had been led to vet.
   We will miss you Cassie.

5 comments:

Sultan said...

Ugh. How truly awful. Blame for illness is not warranted. I am sorry for your you and your family. Losing a friend and family member is always awful.

Something Happened Somewhere Turning said...

Laoch,
Thank you for your kind words. We miss her a lot.

Mildred Ratched said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your pet. I know what grief that can cause because they are family members. In 2008, I lost my Chewy to cancer. His rapid growing tumor was in his mouth, also. I babied him along, but finally had to accept I was being selfish by keeping him with me. Taking him for his final trip to the vet was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I still miss him and I can't believe I'm sitting here crying as I type this to you. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts.

Laura said...

I'm so sorry Beaux, what a shock and terrible loss for your family. You guys need some seriously good news and a shower of blessings. YOU deserve so much joy.

Kristen said...

I haven't visited this page in a couple months, then today I'm at home with my cat because she also has a tumor in her mouth and is terminal. Just found out yesterday and have been going through the same thoughts you did with Cassie. Blaming myself for not seeing it sooner. But the vet assured me it wouldn't have mattered. These are fast growing tumors and common for animals to get in their mouths and jaws. I have the good fortune to spend a few more days with Taffy before I have to let her go, and I had the good fortune to log on and read your blog today and know that I'm not alone in my grieving. The universe works in strange ways, and that also brings me comfort. Knowing that we are all in this world together. Sharing experiences from miles and miles away. I'm sorry for your loss, but thank you for sharing your story. Best to you, Kristen R. (friends with Lois from awhile back)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails