March 17, 2010

Six Impossible Things (A quick review)


It occurred to me the other day while watching the new Alice in Wonderland, that I had never read the book. All the things I believed to be part of the story were actually bits and pieces of things I'd heard growing up over the years. As I googled some of the characters I learned that there were similar characters written later in Through the Looking Glass and that the story weaved itself differently through many versions that have been written over the years. Even in Burton's version I had to ask myself. Was it really Wonderland or Underland? And what about the Jabberwocky? Was he in Alice in Wonderland? And Tweedledum and Tweedledee? And what did the Dormouse really say? It wasn't, "Feed your head."
My oldest daughter -- the one who loves the Beatles and Bob Marley -- was dying to see this movie. She loved the Mad Hatter and Absolem -- the Hookah-Smoking Caterpillar (I am really starting to wonder about her. I can almost hear her singing the lyrics to White Rabbit by the Jefferson Airplane).
We all loved the movie. Depp was great as usual and Helena Bonham Carter didn't have to do much to get into character, all she had to do was throw on some make up. Hathaway was a little odd and I'm not sure black and white is her color. Mia Wasikowska was a natural playing the ever enchanting Alice. She was as much as I would imagine her character should be: Strong and determined, kind and compassionate, and charming and lovely. She was really everything but lost. As far as modern day fairy tales go, I give it 4 thumbs up and the 3D effects were pretty good. Plus for 11 or 12 bucks you get to keep the glasses.

4 comments:

Krëg said...

I used to drink in a bar that let you keep the glasses. They were in 3D too. In fact after a while, they were in 6D.

I saw Sherlock Holmes this weekend. I expected something else from director Guy Ritchie. It came off as CSI: Scotland Yard. Still, I've seen worse movies.

Debra said...

My almost 18 year old went to see the movie at midnight when it opened. She loves Alice in Wonderland and she actually got dressed up as Alice for the opening. She LOVED the movie!

Glad you guys had fun!

Sultan said...

It's frightening that I read that book almost forty years ago. Thanks for the movie review.

Bitter_Angel said...

eeee Im going to see this on Friday in Imax. cant cantcant wait!!
Im a huge Burton fan.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails