October 1, 2009

O Happy Dagger


The other day I came home from work after a 12 hour shift. It was Saturday and the girls and their friends were gathered around the T.V. set singing karaoke songs to the PS2 SingStar. It was just after 6:00 p.m. I don't have any idea how long they were there before I got home.
About an hour later they asked me if the neighbor girl could spend the night.
"I don't care," I said.
"Yes!" They shouted and ran away.
At 8:00 p.m. they were all still singing. Not smooth-flowing melodies either, but sharp raspy high-pitched shrieks that blended and merged into a cacophony of 30 songs sung at the same time. If I closed my eyes it almost sounded like Hawkwinds "Sonic Attack."
At 9:00 p.m. I glanced upstairs with a scowl on my face. Maybe worse. Maybe it was a look that resembled something like pain. Like I might have just hit my finger with a hammer.
At 10:00 p.m. I was ready to be put down. I now understood why dogs howled when they heard noises that they couldn't stand.
At 10:05 p.m. I told Lois I was dying. She laughed and said it didn't bother her. "They're just having fun."
"Dude, they've been singing for 4 hours. STRAIGHT!"
Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock.
At 10:30 p.m. Lois told the girls that it was time to stop.
I thought that I would cry.

Tonight the girls told me there wasn't any school tomorrow and they asked me if the neighbor girl could spend the night.
"I don't care." I said.
At 8:00 p.m. they started singing. I turned the T.V. up so I could hear what Lois and I were watching.
At 9:00 p.m. they were still singing. Again, I turned the T.V. up so Lois and I could hear what we were watching.
At 10:00 p.m. Lois shouted. "All right girls, that's enough. Find something else to do."

I need to learn how to do that.



--"O happy dagger! This is thy sheath; there rust and let me die."  Romeo and Juliet

7 comments:

Sultan said...

Someday once they have sold millions of cd's as part of a female super-group they will look back and laugh that you thought they were terrible.

*mary* said...

Hilarious! I have so much to look forward to, don't I?

Also, I have to give you extra credit points for incorporating Hawkwind into this post. Hahaha. I love it.

razorsandvines said...

This made me laugh right out loud through the entire thing!

kn said...

wonderful!!

thanks for that.

and...good luck with the next - what - 6 or 7 years?

Pop and Ice said...

Beware of groups of girls and music and overnights - they will exhaust you!

Something Happened Somewhere Turning said...

LoC,
That would be sweet, but I'm not so sure that I like the idea of a super-group for a career choice. Sounds like it could be trouble.

*mary*,
For some reason Hawkwind was the first group I could think of.

razorsandvines,
It is pretty funny in hindsight.

kristine,
Thanks for the good luck. I have a feeling it is going to be a long several years where they are concerned.

Pop and Ice,
I should know that by now.

Debra said...

Yes, you do! Don't worry though. My husband will sit through any amount of torture that our daughters are willing to put him through. I think it's a "daddy's little girls" thing!

Hugs,
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails