May 24, 2009

A Day at the Movies

When I was growing up, I absolutely loved science fiction on T.V. The first thing I ever watched was Lost in Space and Star Trek. There were other programs that I waited for every week. The Green Hornet, The Twilight Zone, Batman and The Outer Limits. There were dozens of shows that caught my eye and I looked forward to seeing them each week. Some 40 years later, nothing has changed, except perhaps for the names of the programs. Nowadays I wait for Fringe, Lost and the Terminator. And then there is the movie theater .... I love going to the movies.
Today the girls and I went to see the new Star Trek movie. As the first few minutes played out I could see where it was going. I suddenly remember Captain James T. Kirk's predecessor Captain Pike. I could remember the wheelchair. This rekindled old memories. Of course Pike would be in this movie. This was how it all started.
I wanted to laugh and cry as a wave of nostalgia washed over me. I wanted to share all the things I could remember about the story with my girls but it would have meant nothing to them. The old Star Trek episodes were nothing but old celluloid film in metal canisters. And as the movie introduced its familiar characters I smiled as I thought about the countless episodes I used to watch. I kept looking over at the girls to say something, and then I would remember. They would have no idea what I was talking about. And so I watched. Smiling, laughing, and yes...there were a couple of gulps and tears.
Thank you J.J. Abrams, boycotting Christian Bale was the smartest thing I did today.

3 comments:

Sultan said...

The Star Trek movie was quite good. It made me think of the good old days.

Debbie said...

I loved that series! I've often wanted to watch it with my kids but realize they would laugh at the "special effects" that mesmerized us. I have to go to the movie now!

Debra said...

I know how you feel! I often experience that "generation gap" with my daughters. it's so hard sometimes because if you have to explain it, it definitely loses something in the process.

So glad that you had a fun day with your lovely girls!

Hugs,
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails