September 28, 2008

The Notable Quote


You hear it all the time: "This is the first day of the rest of your life." Or, you may find it written down inside of a fortune cookie, "Live each day as if it were your last."They are meant to be words of wisdom or inspirational quotes. It is free advice that we don't always take. And, before this year, I think I was lacking in that area. I find that a little disheartening because it speaks of the self - myself. Like so many things in life, there are too many things we take for granted. The joys of life and the happiness in living shouldn't be one of them. Realizing that, I felt very small. Very human.

Lately that's changed. Lately I've taken noticed. I have a deeper sense of appreciation for certain things; mostly for my friends and family. And then there are all the little things. I really do stop and smell the roses. My wife says that I've changed. So do my daughters. They say that I'm a kinder, more gentler man. They say that I live more in the moment.

At first I didn't notice. But as each day passes I see things new. My daughters' smile may reveal a smudge of dirt on their face. I will feel the early morning temperature on my skin as I watch a sunrise. My wife's smile is followed with a grimace when she has an afterthought. These things add up, compounding all that is life, and I am overwhelmed and grateful for everything I have. There is this new quote I'm reading these days, and it rings of truth...

“One day at a time--this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering.”

2 comments:

Tracy said...

A very good reminder, and one that we can all use.

I love you and pray for you everyday...

Tracy

Ames said...

I like that...Good quote and most people take life for granted...its not until life actually slaps you in the face that you wake up and see what its really all about and how small we really are. I spend a lot of time at the ocean which helps to humble me. I had cancer when I was 24 for 13 months and I think that was my slap in the face... I hope all is well and Im thinking about you everyday.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails